Friday, September 12, 2008

The Catcher in the Rye

Just finished reading the J.D. Salainger classic The Catcher in te Rye and, not surprisingly, I liked it. Totally. Unlike most of the novels that I’ve read, this one is something that I can most appreciate probably because of the spontaneity of the scenarios and the language. Being ostracized before due to its overwhelming profanity and angst, I find the book, well, inspiring. It’s in fact the most inspiring novel that I’ve read so far, if you may ask. Just forget about proper language usage, or complex plot twists, or even a protagonist to fantasize of, you won’t find those here. Instead, what you will stumble upon is the author’s views and thoughts about the human condition, the society to which one evolves, and the concept of getting up and moving on that would make you stop, think and probably utter, “Hey, that’s right.” The novel was simply put and very genuine which is one thing that I liked most about it.

During the early part of the novel the narrator and protagonist mentioned, “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up whenever you feel like it.” And truly, Salinger made me feel that way.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a reader and have never read of the Catcher in the Rye. However, I do know about the book, because I use to sell first edition books on eBay to earn some extra cash. I think Catcher was worth about $500 for a first edition.